Do you always find yourself putting off meal prep with excuses such as;
- It takes too much time
- I’ll do it tomorrow
- I don’t know what to cook
- I never have the right foods in my house?!
Then these 3 tips to mastering meal prep are for you!
But first, why is meal prep so important anyway?!
When we prepare our food for the coming days we will normally ensure our meals are well-balanced with our macronutrients and aren’t excessive in calories. When life gets busy and we choose not to meal prep, most likely we are going to have to buy meals out in lunch breaks and for dinners. This can hinder our fitness journey in many ways, e.g not knowing what the food has been cooked in, not knowing exact portions or macros.
Let’s get into these tips that can help you with your meal prep!
- Multitask cooking and prepping! I know sometimes meal prep can feel like a “waste” of time. But let’s not let it be a waste! If you are well prepped, meal cooking time can be used whilst doing other things. For example, making meals in the slow cooker! Easy! Leave the slow cooker on and possibly get some other chores done? Or spend time with the kids? Maybe catching up on your favourite reality show! It doesn’t matter what you choose to do with this time but let’s try and make it more enjoyable by multitasking!
- Have a go-to set list of healthy recipes: Rather than constantly wondering what meal to cook next, have a set list of different healthy meals to have at hand. These should be meals you enjoy that also include a mixture of food groups, healthy fats, carbohydrates and protein.
- Work your way up to it: You don’t need to meal prep every single dish for the week ahead, just pick one meal you find the most challenging. For example, if it’s difficult to get up early every morning to prepare breakfast, use your time to put together a week’s worth of overnight oats or bake up a batch of whole-grain muffins. Find it hard to make time for lunch? Toss your greens and veggies into individual containers, and prepare some homemade salad dressing that you can drizzle on top when it’s time to eat. Just start off smaller and work your way up!
And there we have it! 3 fantastic tips that are going to help you become a master meal prepper in no time! 😉
I hope this information has been helpful for you! Like always the team is here to help you! If you feel you need further help with your eating journey please send us an email or call us, you can find our contact details here.
Stay safe, stay healthy and we can’t wait to see you soon!