First off we want to say we are very proud of every one of you who has been working towards being a happier, healthier, and more resilient person! All the time you have spent training with us at FitTech Studios or training in general anywhere will give you an edge health-wise over those who do not prioritise their health the way you do. Also we would not be what and who we are without your support.
We have been spending a lot of time researching and thinking about the current situation we’re experiencing with regards to COVID-19. There are some implications to it worth noting and we would like for you each to understand what FitTech Studios will be doing in all our locations in case of certain events. We will also be asking each of you to take a selfless approach to handle COVID-19 for the well-being of our Community.
Following the FACTS now it’s time to share our intentions moving forward from this week, Sunday 15th March, until further notice.
This is a very tough one! A once in a 25-30 year pandemic. It’s new to us all and it’s important to not panic and focus on what we can control and is within our reach. As a small business that is responsible for the livelihood of staff & the health & well-being of many, we want to be prepared and take this seriously.
We keep on learning about the new (COVID-19) virus. We don’t know where it’s going to end up, who is going to be affected & what impact it’s going to have on the local & global economy. Instead of speculating about something that is out of our control and getting caught in what “could” happen, let’s focus on the facts and make decisions based on that – facts.
What we can control as individuals and all the other businesses is how we respond. Although the below may seem OTT (Over the top 😊) or unnecessary to some, we want to do our best to ensure that we are not taking any chances and minimising the risk of spreading the virus in as many ways as possible. While the majority of us are unlikely to be affected by this, we do have a responsibility to those in our community who could become incredibly unwell if they contract coronavirus.
Thanks to the WHO, we know what helps reduce the spread and we want to let our community know what we are doing to lower the risks and what our plans are IF things get escalated.
While we have always had strict hygiene practices and cleanliness standards in our studios, we have implemented the following precautionary measures as a proactive approach to reduce the risk of transmission of respiratory viruses:
- We have escalated our daily cleaning & disinfecting. There are spray bottles of disinfectant stationed around the gym as well as our usual antibacterial gym wipes – please use these to wipe down equipment or anything else you feel may need extra disinfecting.
- Requesting you use the antibacterial wipes/hand sanitiser at reception or wash your hands (for at least 20 seconds) and dry thoroughly on arrival for class.
- As always our classes are small and personal and never crowded which is super important. This is a key part of our operation and important to lower the risk of infection.
- We ask that our members only bring kids to the gym if 100% necessary. Kids can carry the coronavirus and show little to no symptoms. Again, this will lower the risk of transmission as our little people have poorer hygiene habits than us.
- We are reducing touch points at the gym where practical. For now this means: Hold the high fives, hugs and fist pumps. (I know. It’s going to be hard) But we will find alternative ways to keep encouraging one another.
- Wipe down all equipment you touch after use.
- When you sneeze or cough please do so into your arms
- Please stay home if you are not feeling well
- Wash your hands before and after workouts, for at least 20 seconds.
- As per the latest government update anyone entering the country should self isolate for 14 days. Please contact us at email@example.com to discuss options and how we can help.
- If you are diagnosed with the coronavirus, please let us know ASAP so we can take appropriate measures. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If yourself or a close family member has a healthcare related job please email us at email@example.com so we can go over few options.
- At home workouts and coaching service: As of Monday (15/03/2020) for any of our members who are concerned about their exposure to the public and would like to self-isolate please talk to us and we will write you a specific do at home workout. We will also start preparing “do at home kits” of suspension trainers and resistance bands that can be checked out or purchased out at the gym. Please click here to reach out to us.
In the event the government mandates us to close our business all our members will receive individualised exercise programs specific to your goals so you can continue to work on and maintain the fitness level that you have worked so hard to achieve since joining our community. We also invite all members to talk to us about “do at home kits”. We will also be making ourselves available to daily coaching and accountability facetime calls to keep you on track! We will communicate via text, audio messages, and video with every person in our gym and also look to do group zoom calls for group exercises.
We ask that you stay active in the FitTech Facebook Community groups, share your workout and workout selfies with others, share photos of the delicious meals you prepare and keep the spirit up.
It’s important to understand that now is not the time to give up on your health & fitness. This is one thing that you are in complete control of and will in fact keep you in the lower risk category for contracting the virus. Have a look at this article: https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/wellbeing/2020/03/13/coronavirus-diet-exercise-healthy
Focusing on and mastering your daily choices and habits around nutrition, exercise, sleep, recovery & mindset will not only drive you toward better health, it turns out that being healthy and fit is the best way to boost your immune system and counter stress. Focusing on the above will help eliminate the anxiety of what is happening in the world right now.
I don’t know about you but when things are WAY out of our control we hunker down and do whatever we can to improve our health, and state of mind. This includes drinking plenty of water, meditation, good amount of sleep, listening to music, watching and listening to things that make us laugh, consuming lots of veggies, cutting way back on sugar, and exercising just about every day.
Will any of this behaviour guarantee you won’t get the Coronavirus? No. But it will keep you healthy and improve your state of mind while we all work together to get through this very strange time in our history.
There is a bunch of misinformation floating around on the Interwebs (highly technical term 😊), especially via social media so we have asked couple of specialist on this topic to share some light so please find some useful topics:
What is the actual deal?
TL;DR Facebook-sized update
‘Flattening the curve’
Self-isolation and quarantine
Soap vs hand sanitiser
Official Australian websites:
Australian Government Department of Health
WA Health Update
Vic Health Update https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-update
A REMINDER that the situation is constantly changing as we find out more and more about COVID-19, so check the date/time on anything you read.
We appreciate you sharing this article in hopes that other fitness centres and small businesses in Australia follow suit. Adding these precautionary measures to your establishment could mean the difference in less transmissions and forced closures of business in Australia in the near future.
Care for one another. Be thankful for your health. Don’t freak out. We got this!
Love the FitTech Team all over Australia